The lotus tattoo is one of the most popular flower designs along with rose and sunflower ideas. However, unlike these two, the lotus has a much deeper meaning. Lotus is a flower that grows in cloudy water but symbolizes beauty, purity, and harmony. Therefore, people who get this design want to tell others that they are beautiful in their own way, regardless of the circumstances around them.
However, this is not the only meaning of the lotus tattoo. Its symbolism depends on the flower’s color, the tattoo style, and other aspects. Therefore, we have collected 70+ unique lotus flower tattoos and explained their meanings to help you choose the best design.
What Does a Lotus Flower Tattoo Mean?
Lotus is a design that has many meanings. As we mentioned earlier, the main ones are beauty, purity, and harmony. However, in different cultures, the flower meanings are explained differently.
It is necessary to clarify that the lotus motherland is in Asia. Therefore, in Buddhism and Hinduism, the flower meanings are the deepest.
- Buddhism. For Buddhists of all traditions, the lotus is a symbol of the spiritual world, the rejection of material wealth, and enlightenment. Moreover, the monks distinguish the flower’s meaning depending on its color:
❤️ Red lotus – passion and love;
💙 Blue lotus – intelligence;
🤍 White lotus – purity and peace;
💜 Purple lotus – mysticism;
💕 Pink lotus – spirituality.Hinduism. In this culture, the lotus symbolizes the purity of the human soul and the overcoming of death.
- Chinese culture. The lotus has always been an inspiration for artists. Moreover, people associate it with harmony in relationships and feminine beauty.
- Western culture. The flower means rebirth, connection with the divine world, and the search for the meaning of life.
- Ancient Egyptian culture. For this culture, the lotus is a very important flower because life arose after its bloom. Therefore, it symbolizes the beginning of life and reincarnation.
70+ Stylish Flower Tattoo Designs
We got acquainted with the popular people’s queries for lotus tattoo designs and identified 14 groups of ideas. This list includes tattoos on different body parts in various styles and sizes. Moreover, the meanings of individual designs are also different from others. Therefore, we suggest that you start familiarizing yourself with them immediately.
Small lotus tattoos are concise and refined designs. They are perfect for those who want to get their first tattoo. The reasons for this are the following:
- Fast implementation. You can get this design in less than 60 minutes.
- Easier to cover. If you get bored with a lotus tattoo, you can always cover it with another one without any problems or remove it with a laser.
However, a small lotus design will suit even the avid connoisseurs of tattoos. Such an idea can be an addition to an existing composition or form a new one.
The lotus mandala tattoo is one of the most popular designs of this flower. It symbolizes the Universe, which protects tattoo owners and helps them find the right path in life.
Also, such a design protects owners from wrong decisions and symbolizes the human soul. Those who get such a tattoo will have the following character traits:
- 🌷 Calm;
- 🌷 Appeasement;
- 🌷 Protection.
Colored lotus tattoos always attract the attention of others. Tattoo artists use bright and deep colors that form a delicate and concise design.
The most popular colored lotus designs are watercolor ones. This tattoo style has the following features:
- 🎨 Smooth lines;
- 🎨 Bright palette of colors;
- 🎨 Lack of a clear contour;
- 🎨 Blurred borders;
- 🎨 Soft color transitions.
People got black lotus ideas if they studied martial arts. However, now the black lotus symbolizes the enlightenment of man.
Also, it is worth pointing out that black tattoos have their distinctive advantages:
- % The chance that you will get a quality design is higher, unlike color ones, because all tattoo artists know how to implement such an idea;
- 🎨 You can always complement the black design with other colors;
- | Even over time, they do not lose the clarity of the contours due to the contrast of the skin tone and the black tattoo ink.
Unalome is one of the necessary symbols of Buddhism. Its main and only meaning is the attainment of enlightenment. It was got by those who were able to achieve nirvana in Buddhism.
Unalome consists of two main elements and each has a separate meaning:
- | Straight part. It symbolizes a direct unwavering path to enlightenment.
- ⚪ Bottom rounded. It means the head and enlightenment.
In Japanese culture, the lotus is an important symbol. It means the development of life and symbolizes the emotionality of its owner. Also, in Japan, the lotus is considered a symbol of cheerfulness and brightness.
The Japanese lotus tattoo has the following distinctive features:
- 🌸 Variety of tint palettes;
- 🌸 Clear outline;
- 🌸 The tattooing technique allows you to implement a dynamic design that seems to be in motion;
- 🌸 Use of red and black.
Minimalistic designs are one of the main tattoo trends. Lotus ideas in this style will look very gentle because thin needles are used for their implementation. It requires high professionalism from the tattoo artist. Otherwise, the contours will be bold and the design will lose its charm.
One of the most commonly seen geometric lotus tattoo designs is the flower in a triangle. The three sides of this figure symbolize three human essences: mind, flesh, and soul. Together with the lotus, the design will mean harmony and balance between these three essences.
The traditional tattoo style is one of the most popular and oldest. It originated in the middle of the 19th century and has gained many fans. Traditional tattoos have the following distinctive features:
- A bold outline around each tattoo element;
- Lack of shadows and volume;
- Only red, yellow, blue, and green colors and their shades are used.
The neo-traditional tattoo is an evolution of the traditional style. Such designs still look unrealistic, but they have striking differences from their predecessor:
- | Contours of different thicknesses. It allows you to recognize the tattoo idea even from afar.
- 💡 Light source. Due to this, shadows appear in the tattoo, and volume is formed.
- 🎨 Bright colors. Neo-traditional tattoos are more like illustrations than realistic designs due to the vivid colors.
On the Spine
The lotus tattoo on the spine is a long design. The flower stem often consists of a phrase or quote that is important to the tattoo owner.
Also, It is worth noting that a tattoo on the spine can be quite painful. There is no layer of muscle between the bones and skin on this body place. Therefore, you may feel discomfort.
On the Neck
Not every person is ready to get a lotus tattoo on the neck because it will be difficult to hide it under clothes. If one has got such a design, it is bold and determined. Moreover, since it is a complex step, the lotus tattoo meaning is enhanced and reflects the true worldview of its owner.
Behind the Ears
The lotus tattoo behind the ear is unique because it has several interesting meanings:
- 😏 Sensuality. Ears are an erogenous zone, so a tattoo in this place will mean that you are a sensual person;
- 😍 Originality. A tattoo behind the ear is often chosen by those who want to stand out from the crowd and not be like everyone else;
- 😮 Mysteriousness. The designs behind the ear are intriguing as it is not a typical place for a tattoo.
Under the Breast
Lotus tattoo designs under the breast are preferred by girls only. They get them to make the breast more expressive and visually make the waist thinner. Moreover, when girls get such designs, they want to demonstrate their sexuality but not openly because such tattoos are hidden from prying eyes.
The lotus tattoo has many meanings and interpretations around the world. In some cultures, it is associated with the birth of the world. In others, it means the achievement of peace of mind. However, all ideas are united by the fact that this is one of the most popular tattoos.
Based on this fact, we have collected 70+ lotus flower tattoo designs and explained their meanings in detail to make it easier for you to choose the most suitable one.
💮 What does a white lotus tattoo mean?
Buddhists believed that depending on the color, the lotus has different meanings. The white lotus tattoo symbolizes purity and peace.
💠 What does a mandala tattoo symbolize?
A mandala is a symbol that consists of regular figures and forms a symmetrical pattern. It means the balance of eternity and perfection.
❓ What does a lotus mandala tattoo mean?
The lotus mandala design symbolizes the universe, which protects the tattoo owner and means calm and appeasement.